.Com Ranking: Drop in China – Domain Name Wire
They are the fastest growing and largest domain name registrars for .com domains.
ICANN has released the latest official data from Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) on the .com namespace. This Registrar-by-Registrar report covers February 2022.
Digging into the numbers, it seems China is partly responsible for the drop in new .com registrations.
In January and February 2021, the top 9 Chinese registrars (or those serving China) by .com volume generated 550,000 new .com registrations. In the same months this year, that figure dropped to 383,000.
Granted, Chinese registrars tend to have “lumpy” registration numbers in general, and I think that’s because domain investors are buying through them in bulk. For example, Hongkong Domain Name Information Management Co., had over 90,000 registrations in January last year, dropping to 30,000 the following month. This year, it accounted for less than 2,000 .com registrations in the first two months of the year.
In other ranking news, Turn Commerce has overtaken IONOS in the total number of .com domains under management.
Here’s how registrars fared in terms of new .com registrations in February:
1. GoDaddy.com* (NYSE: GDDY) 759,973 (812,923 in January)
2. Namecheap Inc. 243,030 (269,200)
3. Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) 167,140 (175,155)
4. Newfold Digital+ 156 311 (177 528)
5. Tucows** (NASDAQ:TCX) 133,795 (140,218)
6. Dynadot 107,616 (126,328)
7. TurnCommerce 107,236 (119,384)
8. Wix 78113 (85899)
9. GMO 71,704
10. Ionos 68,681 (73,030)
Here is the ranking of the top registrars by total number of .com registrations under management as of the end of February.
1. GoDaddy* 56,443,570 (56,444,665 in January)
2. Newfold Digital+ 13,447,563 (13,558,952)
3. Tucows** 12,088,015 (12,150,467)
4. Namecheap 8,312,660 (8,279,345)
5.Alibaba 6,287,267 (6,375,870)
6. TurnCommerce++ 5,658,370 (5,602,999)
8. Google 5,210,094 (5,112,777)
9.CentralNic ##3,186,387 (3,539,667)
10. NameSilo 2,684,633 (2,673,399)
Many domain companies have multiple accreditations and I have tried to capture the most important ones. See notes below.
* Includes GoDaddy, Wild West Domains, Uniregistry, GoDaddy Corporate Domains and 123 Reg
** Includes Tucows, Enom, Ascio and EPAG
+ Includes PDR, Domain.com, FastDomain, Bigrock, Network Solutions, Register.com, SnapNames Registrars and Crazy Domains/Dreamscape. There are other Newfold registrars, but these are the biggest ones.
++ Includes NameBright and DropCatch registrars
# Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you
## Includes Key-Systems, 1API, Internet.bs, TLD Registrar Solutions, RegistryGate, Moniker, Instra